WINCHESTER, Va. – Visiting Catholic University of America rallied from a two-set deficit to down Shenandoah University 3-2 in non-league volleyball action Tuesday night in the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
Shenandoah (4-6) took the 2-0 lead thanks to 25-19 and 25-22 wins in the initial two sets before Catholic (11-3) rallied with 25-22, 25-19, 15-9 triumphs in sets three thru five to steal the victory.
In the fifth, CUA scored five of the first six points and rode that momentum to the six-point win.
- Set scores: 25-19, 25-22, 22-25, 19-25, 9-15
- SU hit a team-best .237 in the opening set and was 14-of-19 (73 percent) on sideouts, but did not hit above .171 in the remaining four sets and did not crack 56 percent for sideouts.
- Emily Cheatwood, the current ODAC Player of the Week, tied a school-record for kills in a five-set match with her 22-kill performance. Cheatwood ties the mark originally set by Michelle Chandler in 2006.
Cheatwood 22, Caylin Harris 10
Shenandoah travels to Cresson, Pennsylvania on Thursday for a 7 p.m. non-league match at Mount Aloysius.
- Catholic has won nine of the past 10 matchups between the two programs with the SU win coming at home on September 29, 2016.
- Cheatwood ties the five-set record for kills previously set by Michelle Chandler versus Methodist on October 28, 2006
- Chandler holds the overall record for kills with 28 in a four-set match versus N.C. Wesleyan on October 28, 2005