WINCHESTER, Va. – The Shenandoah University women's basketball team has earned its third consecutive trip to the Salem Civic Center with a 79-60 victory over No. 9 Bridgewater Tuesday night in the opening round of the ODAC Tournament at the Wilkins Center.
Shenandoah (13-13 and the No. 8 seed) led virtually wire-to-wire over the Eagles (14-12). After BC scored the opening bucket at 9:53, SU answered with nine straight points to take a lead it would not relinquish.
Kelsey Jones changed the momentum with just one shot, canning a 35-footer as the buzzer sounded to put the Hornets back up five, 23-18, after one.
Shenandoah did not let its lead dip below four points the rest of the way.
Holding that four-point lead, 39-35 at the 6:06 mark of the third, SU ripped off a 10-1 run over the next 2:01 that effectively sealed the contest. Weinel, who had 13 points off the bench, completed that run with a 3-point play at 3:59 of the third.
The Hornets lead remained in double digits for all but 25 seconds the rest of the way and SU closed out the game on a 23-14 run.
Rebounds: Kuhn 7
Assists: Mathis 5, Kuhn 4
"We carried the momentum in from Saturday's win at Lynchburg," head coach Melissa Smeltzer-Kraft said. "We shot the ball very well tonight and Jordan (Sondrol) stepped up big time. I am so proud of the team."
- The victory is third straight for Shenandoah over Bridgewater
- Bridgewater leads the all-time series 9-4
- Shenandoah shot 48 percent (29-of-61)
- Bridgewater shot 29 percent (19-of-65)
- SU had a 46-35 edge on the glass
- This is the third straight year that Shenandoah has advanced to the quarterfinals and the fifth time in seven seasons of league play
- Shenandoah has never met Guilford in ODAC Tournament play