WINCHESTER, Va. - The Shenandoah University women's basketball team completed a season sweep of its ODAC series versus Randolph College with a 70-41 win Saturday afternoon at the James R. Wilkins, Jr. Athletics & Events Center.
SU scored 16 of the game's first 17 points and held the 'Cats to fewer than in each of the first three quarters on its way to the blowout win.
The Hornets took a 45-16 lead at the break as they shot 18-for-24 (75 percent) from the field in the first 10 minutes of play. SU almost did not miss in the opening stanza, making 8 of its 10 attempts from the field and was a perfect 5 for 5 from the line.
SU cooled off the third, shooting 29 percent (4-of-14) but stout defense (held Randolph to 20 percent shooting from field and forced three turnovers) allowed the hosts to extend the lead by additional five points.
Hornets coach Melissa Smeltzer-Kraft emptied the bench for the final 10 minutes, with just Kuhn playing more than three minutes in the final stanza.
Shenandoah ended the game shooting 53 percent (27-of-51) from the field and was 10-of-12 (83 percent) from the line.
Sondrol finished with 14 points and Weinel 10.
"Tremendous team win this afternoon," Smeltzer-Kraft said. "We could not have asked for a better game Shannon (our lone senior). We have our big games left and we hope to continue this momentum on Tuesday."
- All 17 women played for the Hornets with each woman seeing at least 3:12 of game action
- All but one player attempted a shot and 12 of the 17 scored at least two points
- Shenandoah had a 38-32 edge on the glass
- After scoring the first bucket 55 seconds in, SU led the rest of the way
- Shenandoah now leads the all-time series 15-9 and has won four straight over the 'Cats