R-MC (4-1, 2-0 ODAC) led 37-35 after three but outscored the Hornets (3-3, 0-2) by 11 points in the final stanza to secure the victory.
SU led for the first six minutes of the game thanks to a 7-1 run out of the gate. Starting with a Kelly Williams layup following the initial media time-out, the 'Jackets scored 17 of the final 24 points of the period to lead 18-14 after one.
The shots would not fall for either team as the two teams shot a combined 5-of-27 (19 percent) and scored just 10 total points in the period. Macon led 24-18 at the break.
R-MC led by as much as six in the quarter but SU would tie it up with 1:58 remaining thanks to two Shannon Kuhn free throws. Shenandoah outscored the 'Jackets 17-13 during the third.
Randolph-Macon pulled away in the fourth quarter scoring 15 of the 21 points off of free throws including the last ten points of the game.
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"I am very proud of how hard our team played tonight," head coach Melissa Smeltzer-Kraft said. "We battled through a very physical game and continued to put our best foot forward despite circumstances outside of our control. The defensive effort was outstanding, once again."
STATS OF THE DAY
- Ashley Stone led the Hornets in scoring with 11 points.
- Shannon Kuhn and Freshman Olivia Weinel both added six points.
- Ragan Johnson grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
- Kelly Williams led the 'Jackets in points and boards with 17 and 16 respectively.
- SU recorded 12 second chance points and scored 16 points off the bench.
- The 'Jackets own the 10-3 series record. Shenandoah and R-MC split the regular season series last year.
- The score was tied on four occasions and the lead changed hands twice.
Shenandoah will host Lynchburg Sunday, December 2 at 2 p.m.