ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The Shenandoah University men's basketball team earned its first win of the 2018-19 season with an 80-79 non-league victory at St. Mary's of Maryland Thursday evening.
Junior Jalyn Jarrett hit a driving layup with four seconds remaining to give Shenandoah (1-1) the game-winning bucket over SMCM (0-3).
Jarrett's layup gave SU an 80-78 lead, but the game was far from over.
The Seahawks drew a foul on the ensuing inbounds play, but missed the initial free throw in the two-shot opportunity. After making the second, the 'Hawks fouled Tramell Anthony with one second remaining.
Anthony missed both attempts, but SMCM was unable to get off a ¾ court heave to try and steal the victory.
The game featured nine ties and eight lead changes. Shenandoah trailed by 10 points with 92 seconds remaining in the first half before starting the second half on a 9-2 run to tie the game at 42-42 with 18:19 left.
The Hornets lead reached nine points on two occasions, the last with 10:45 left, before SMCM reeled off a 9-1 spurt to tie it at 64-64 with 6:56 remaining.
The two teams were separated by no more than four points the rest of the way.
SU STATS LEADERS
Chaney 14, Williams 9
Williams 7, Jarrett 5
"We are very proud of our overall effort tonight," head coach Adam Walsh said. "We faced runs and we were able to counter. I thought we did a tremendous job of pushing the ball and getting good looks at the rim. I'm proud of our guys to rebound from a loss and to take a tough road trip like today and come away with the victory."
Shenandoah opens up its home slate on Saturday in a 4 p.m. non-league contest versus Elizabethtown.
- Shenandoah leads the all-time series 14-3
- SU shot 33-of-72 for 46 percent
- SMCM shot 30-of-65 for 46 percent
- Shenandoah had a 46-37 advantage on the glass
- SU outscored the 'Hawks 52-32 in the paint and 46-6 off the bench
- Thursday's win snapped an 11-game losing streak for the Hornets. SU had not won since January 17, 2018 versus Eastern Mennonite.
- The road win also snapped an 11-game road losing streak. The previous road win was December 19, 2017 at Elizabethtown.