Women's Lax Grounds Flying Dutch

WINCHESTER, Va. – The Shenandoah University women's lacrosse team earned its third consecutive home victory to start the 2013 season with a 15-0 non-league win over Hope (Mich.) College.

Playing on a snowy, wet Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium turf, the Hornets (4-1) scored seven goals in the first 9:30 of the contest against the Flying Dutch (0-3).

Hope, in its first season of varsity lacrosse after a long history of playing at the club level, had three shots on goal in the first half but were turned away each time by SU starting goalie Ashley Cross.

Cross turned it over to Bonnie Giovannetti to start the second and the freshman delivered, making save on the only shot on goal of the stanza to preserve the shutout.

Coach Lindsey Lutz had nine different women register at least one point in the victory led by freshman Miranda Rudacille and her four goals.

Senior Corrinne Kosmowski matched Rudcille's four points by posting two goals and two assists.

Kosmowski also helped the Hornets to an 11-6 advantage in draw controls by scooping up five.

Junior Samantha Sisson, who had two goals and one assist in limited action, added four draw controls.

Senior Sydney Anderson anchored the defense with six caused turnovers and six groundballs.

Sophomore Liz Bereit backed up Anderson with five caused turnovers and had a game-high seven groundballs.

Freshman Evie Gaffney and Olivia Sprau both scored their first career goals in the second half.

SU led the game 11-0 at halftime and scored its 10th goal at the 12:42 mark of the first.

Shenandoah returns to ODAC play with 4:00 game at Bridgewater on Thursday.

Note: The two teams joined hands prior to the game for a moment of silence in honor of Seton Hill coach Kristina Quigley, who was killed in a bus accident on Saturday while traveling to a contest at Millersville University… The teams and officials also wore red and gold ribbons in honor of Quigley and her Seton Hill program… The game was delayed by 30 minutes to allow the SU Physical Plant crew to complete the cleaning of the field following three inches of snow Monday morning...